Thursday, June 21, 2012

                                  Back to the Basics

Well. The past two weeks have been an awkward, twisted, stressful journey. I have spent the past weeks designing campaign flyers, applying and interviewing for jobs, and walking around the beautiful bay every night (sometimes more than once depending on how stressed I am and how sunny it is). 
My internship... Oh my internship. My internship has the consistency on a bipolar hyperactive junior high boy. I have spent time designing a super cool campaign flyer, that will be used on Poly's campus in the near future, developing a slide show that is over 200 slides long, and registering voters at Farmers market.... And by "registering voters" I obviously mean, getting yelled at by people of almost every political viewpoint. This week has been more fun than last week though. Every week, I spend three days working for Lois Capps. Last week, I spent three days in the office. This week I spent one day in the office, one night at San Luis Obispo's Farmers market, and on Saturday I get to go up to Paso Robles for a campaign dinner. 
I have loved my transition into Los Osos-Baywood Park. Every day I have a view that  would make a great laptop background picture. I also love the small-town atmosphere. Baywood Park isn't small enough that everyone knows everyone, but it's small enough that everyone is nice to everyone. I have also realized that the only other people walking along the bay, every single are the sixty year old ladies. The ladies who match the mental image associated with the word "Grandma." Today I had almost an hour long conversation with one of these grandmas. Her name is Betty. She lives just down the street from me. She told me all about when she and her husband moved from Virginia to Baywood Park. I also learned in our conversation that she is an avid painter and paints on the same section of beach every day. I also learned that she host a public access television show, on painting, that reaches all of SLO county. 
In the up coming days I am interviewing for three new positions. Tomorrow I interview for a job in Pismo Beach at a restaurant, next Tuesday I'm interviewing to be the Marketing and Public Relations Coordinator for a small family operated solar company in Los Osos, and I also have a phone interview for a paid fund development intern for an after-school program that reaches all of SLO county.
 

1 comment:

  1. Got to love working with the public though when it comes to politics. I must say that it does help one develop that tough skin where it just rolls off and we learn not to take it personally. I give you props for even being out there on the streets and doing what it is that you love. I wish you well on your future interviews.

    ReplyDelete